Tuesday, April 27, 2010

That Holy Spirit Thing (again)

This study of the Holy Spirit still has me tied up in knots.  Actually, I find the knots getting more complicated, rather than less, as I dig deeper.  Under normal circumstances, when delving into a new topic of study, I would pick an author as my expert and start there, branching out as I ingested the basics.

This particular subject doesn't necessarily lend itself well to that approach.  The Bible clearly is the preeminent textbook on the matter, and God would be the expert for me to tap as a mentor, but those facets just up the daunting factor, if you know what I mean.

A few weeks back, when I first tried to learn about the Day of Pentecost, I tried to dumb the subject down so that I could 'get it' right off the bat, and I just jumped on the thought of that moment being the Holy Spirit's first entry onto the stage when, in fact, that isn't the case.

The Holy Spirit is first introduced on page one of the Bible, of course, and there is ample enough mention of the Holy Spirit speaking through (or speaking to) Old Testament figures, so the book of Acts obviously wasn't the birth of the third piece of the trinity.  Acts may not even be the first instance of speaking in tongues, though I think I have been laboring under that assumption for some time.

I think my frightening lack of knowledge on this topic makes a clear case for blogging quietly here.  The last thing I want to do, after all, is say something that is completely theologically incorrect, and have someone read it and believe it as well-researched truth.  Then again, it should be abundantly obvious that I am expert on nothing except coffee consumption (if you know me at all, that is).

The only absolutely true knowledge I have of God can be summed up relatively succinctly: My faith is in God.  He has my (and your) best interests at heart, and my sole focus should be on glorifying God and on sharing His love and His word with unbelievers.

That said, my life is obviously out of focus and I am a lousy example of a life lived for God, but I am fairly certain that it is through the Holy Spirit that I will grow closer to God, will be better able to discern God's plans for my life, and will learn how to be able to share God with others.

So I think I am back at square one.  Unless my semantics are thoroughly screwed up (which is highly possible), I have received the Holy Spirit through repentance and belief, but have not yet been filled with the Holy Spirit.

I am ever humbled.

1 comment:

  1. I'll start with an introduction, because it is polite to do that before you recommend a book, right? I stumbled across your blog through reading your mom's blog, which I'm always interested in because I have adopted siblings with some major issues. And my roommate is a foster kid. And other such wonderful connections. :)

    Anyway, last year in college, my one class wrapped up with some intense research on the Holy Spirit (doesn't that sound clinical?) and a major paper. One of the best resources that I found was Sinclair Ferguson's book The Holy Spirit. It may be worth checking into. :)

    ~Anya

    ReplyDelete