Monday, April 19, 2010

More of Jesus, Less of Me

It has not escaped my notice that this blog appears to me more about myself than about God, and while my intention here is to [try to] write about my relationship with God, thus necessitating the insertion of myself into the narrative, I find it alarming (and more than a little troubling) that my usage of personal pronouns is so pronounced.

This, too, is humbling.

I am a self-centered, vain and imperfect creature, and to have recently spent the Easter season reflecting on Jesus and his supreme selflessness has, as should be expected, highlighted so many of my own flaws.  It is Jesus that I find myself drawn to in the Bible, more than to the Holy Spirit or to God Himself, which was, I suppose, much of the point of Jesus' being made human.  It makes him more relatable in a way, though his perfection is also made more awe-inspiring for the same reason.

How can I be so drawn to someone so filled with love, someone so blameless, when I am made to feel so little, so petty, so hard-hearted in comparison?

If the Church were to focus more on Jesus, wouldn't that make it more difficult for the world to be so disgusted by religion?  If I were to focus more on Jesus, wouldn't that make me better able to show the love of God to those who want nothing to do with Christianity?

In the mid-eighties, when I was in middle school, my mother and I trekked to Atlanta every Monday night to see Mylon LeFevre & Broken Heart play.  They were very much a part of my mother's return to church, and thus my own exposure to God, and they were very much a product of the time period.  Christian rock mirrored the styles of the times, much as it did for the following 10 years or so, so it is with no small amount of trepidation that I link the following video.  One must be able to overlook mullets and parachute pants, mustaches and the like.  I rather liked the 80's.

This band holds a very special place in my heart, and the song "More of Jesus" that appears in the following video is one that stuck with me through more than a decade of rebellion against the church; and last week, when I felt God moving my hand, and I wanted to rebel against even that, this song planted itself on repeat in my head, where it has remained stubbornly for the past eight days.

This is my prayer: to be more like Jesus, less like me.



3 comments:

  1. I know you are wanting to remain "in the shadows" with this blog, but you have blown me away. Blown. me. away. Reading your words bring tears to my eyes, to see where God has brought you..what he has done is your life is truly amazing. You have a gift for writing, a true gift. I am so proud of you. It's hard to imagine our youth group days sometimes but this video brings back vivid..vivid memories and I love it!
    Love you!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea, my dear, how much your words mean. Thank you for the feedback, thank you for the support, and thank you for being you.

    I love you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was probably our very first Christian album, right? Makes me miss the 80s also. I was a little bit more free back then.

    Michele's right, you do write extremely well.

    But here's a kicker, you and Michele are older now than I was then. I was only 32 when you were 13.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete